In relationships, ISTPs are easy-going and adaptable. They are adventurous and logical people who aren’t afraid to take a risk. ISTPs feel a strong sense of compatibility and love with partners who are active and loyal. They are easily bored so they need someone who keeps them on their toes. ISTPs tend to be laid-back but they’ll happily make the first move when they like someone.
ISTPs are most compatible with partners who are decisive and trustworthy. They are one of the most chilled Myers & Briggs personality types who bring a sense of calm to any relationship. ISTPs aren’t the type to jump into commitment and they often enjoy casual dating, at least for a while. They do value the comfort and connection that comes with long-term relationships though and they’ll be deeply committed partners with the right person.
ISTPs are practical and respectful in relationships. They are private individuals and can come across as aloof. ISTPs are the ultimate risk-takers who live in the moment and this draws people to them. ISTPs like to take life one day at a time but when they meet that special someone, they are extremely loyal partners in a relationship. They are especially good listeners and are happy for their partner to do most of the talking.
ISTP strengths in relationships
The following strengths are typical of ISTPs in relationships:
1. Easy-going. ISTPs are one of the most easy-going Myers & Briggs personality types. They take a relaxed approach to life and they have a quiet confidence that many people find attractive. They rarely feel the need to manage situations.
2. Independent. ISTPs strongly value freedom. In order to feel happy, they need to have their own space and they work best with partners who don’t try to control them. As introverts, ISTPs need quite a lot of alone time to recharge.
3. Spontaneous. ISTPs are spontaneous. Routine and structure don’t come naturally to people of this personality type. ISTPs are happy to change plans at the drop of a hat if they think it’s the right thing to do. They usually don’t care much for rules either.
4. Practical. ISTPs are exceptionally practical. They’re amazing at fixing things and they enjoy drilling down into the details. A flat tyre or broken chair? An ISTP will have it back in top shape in no time.
ISTP weaknesses in relationships
The following weaknesses can be typical of ISTPs in relationships:
1. Insensitive. ISTPs can be insensitive. They’re not particularly in tune with other people’s emotions and they can be blunt in the way they communicate. ISTPs value hard facts and they aren’t the type to sugarcoat things.
2. Non-committal. ISTPs like to keep their options open and are fiercely independent, which has its positives but it also means that ISTPs can be non-committal. Feeling like they are being controlled is an ISTPs worst nightmare and it can take a while for them to officially commit to a relationship.
3. Extremely private. ISTPs tend to be very private people. Expressing their feelings doesn’t come naturally to these introverted individuals. It takes ISTPs a long time to open up which can be confusing for partners who are keen to talk about how they feel early on.
4. Stubborn. ISTPs can be stubborn. They are often intelligent and once they’ve decided something, it can be hard to change their mind because they will have come to that conclusion through careful logic and reasoning. They aren’t always open to new points of view which can be frustrating for their partner.
ISTPs fall in love slowly. They are relaxed personality types who like to go with the flow. ISTPs aren’t usually in a hurry to settle down in a long-term relationship and they like to let things unfold without any pressure. They rarely fall in love, but when they do, they’ll experience intense emotions. They might not express their feelings for a while though.
ISTP flirting style
ISTPs are generally not flirty people. They are quietly confident and they don’t get nervous, but flirting doesn’t come naturally to them. If an ISTP likes you, it might not be clear because they often treat their love interest in a similar way to their friends. They do have a cheeky side though and they might tease you in an attempt to flirt.
ISTP sexual compatibility
ISTPs have a present and adventurous sexual energy. They are physical people who place a lot of value on sex. ISTPs live in the moment and they often have a wild side that comes out in certain situations, including in the bedroom. They are playful when it comes to sex and they like to explore. ISTPs are usually comfortable with casual sex, but they do prefer it when they feel an emotional connection.
ISTPs have a practical and direct communication style. They tend to focus on the details rather than the bigger picture. ISTPs are extremely rational and logical. They will often spend time thinking about how they want to convey what they mean in a clear way rather than respond with some half-baked thoughts. ISTPs are straightforward in the way they communicate.
ISTP compatibility with other personality types
ISTPs are rational and adaptable personality types who like to take things slow when it comes to relationships. ISTPs are most compatible with partners who give them the freedom and support. At So Syncd, we consider ESFJs and ESTJs to be the best Myers & Briggs matches for ISTPs:
1. ISTP – ESFJ relationships. ISTPs are attracted to the warm, kind, and welcoming nature of ESFJs. ESFJs encourage ISTPs to step out of their comfort zone in a social sense. ESFJs are attracted to the calm, hands-on, and quietly confident nature of ISTPs. ISTPs can help ESFJs realize that they don’t always need to always be around friends and family to enjoy themselves.
2. ISTP – ESTJ relationships. ISTPs are attracted to the direct, ambitious, and loyal nature of ESTJs. ESTJs can help ISTPs find direction and channel their talents. ESTJs are attracted to the practical, understated and easy-going nature of ISTPs. ISTPs balance out the ESTJ’s need to be highly organized and plan every tiny detail.
Find your perfect personality match today
So Syncd is the dating app based on the 16 Myers & Briggs personality types. Sign up to So Syncd today to meet your perfect personality match. You can download So Syncd from your iOS or Android app store.